WHAT IS THIRD PARTY BILLING?
Minnesota law requires school districts to seek insurance reimbursement to help pay for the cost of providing health-related special education services. More information about this can be found in the “Procedural Safeguards” document provided by your student’s special education case manager, and in this document published by the Minnesota Department of Human Services (click this link to open in a separate window): MHCP: Coverage for IEP/IFSP Health-Related Services.
ABOUT BILLING AT GRAND RAPIDS PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
- ISD 318 only bills public health insurance such as Medical Assistance (MA) or MinnesotaCare. Private insurance companies typically do not cover IEP-related services. The services we bill for include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, nursing services, PCA services and special transportation.
- The funds we receive support our special education program. In fact, the law states that this revenue can only be used to benefit students with special needs within our district (and to pay for the cost of billing).
- There is no cost to the student’s family. Also, if the student is eligible for MA through a home and community waiver program, the district’s billing will not affect the amount of services available through the waiver, and the cost of services is not counted against the child’s waiver cap. There also is no impact to monthly, annual or lifetime service limits for the same or similar services from Minnesota Health Care Programs. There are no parental fees or co-pays.
- Parent/guardian consent is required for billing. We request signature on the MA Parental Consent Form for all students who are evaluated for, or are receiving, special education services. This will be kept on file in case the student receives an eligible service now or in the future while covered by Minnesota Health Care Programs (MHCP). Consent may be revoked at any time by writing to ISD 318 at the address below, and your child’s IEP services will not change or stop.
- The parent/guardian will be notified in writing before the first time Minnesota Health Care Programs are billed, and again each school year that billing occurs.
Do you have questions? Please contact:
Amy Bean, Third Party Billing
ISD 318 Administration Building
820 NW 1st Ave., Grand Rapids, MN 55744-2701
(218) 327-5825 or